Finally got her painted. It took all day to do the rest of the parts but she is done. Got a couple of things to clean up tomorrow and I can start to put her back together.
Started this project November 2013 installing the 20 gallon gas tank and one thing lead to another. Bam ! A year and a half is gone.
Still got work to do but its the fun stuff now.
Sanding and prep work is the key to any project. Since starting my project I’ve tried different types of sandpaper and boy is there differences in quality out there.
After several tries of manufacturers I’ve come to like and get the best results from self sticking DuraGold and 3m brands. Wet, I’m using the 3m brand. DuraGold used with my dura block set. That’s the other thing that makes a world of difference, sand blocks of difference shapes and sizes. These fatfendered trucks and their curves require those different sizes.
Most of my stuff was purchased off eBay and Amazon. The manufactures sell on both so before you buy from them direct check those sites. If your a Amazon Prime members you can save a few bucks on freight and get quick shipping, they even delivery in Sunday.
I got the inside of the cab and jams done, inner fender wells, firewall and under hood, bed and tail gate.
Ready to shoot are out side of cab, doors, and fenders.
Cut and buff is done on the painted items already.
Check out what I have done so far. The paint pops in the light. Darker in shade.
What a difference a year makes. Before and after of my dash. Moved the controls under the dash. Removed ash tray. Electrical added connectors for quick removal of cluster. Smoothed the jams as well.
Within a couple of months I will be selecting a set of rims. Today I made a trip to Collins Custom Wheels & Wheelcovers in Bellflower Ca. They are well know for custom wheels and will set the center based on your specs, (You can also catch Tim at Long Beach or Pomona Swap meets), they can do it all for you. If you lost a hub cap you might find a match there. I seen a full selection of different style hub caps.
I took a few pics to look over. I currently have chrome 15×8 smoothies. With my wider rear fenders I’m looking to go wider and deeper. Also, looking to change things up with a different look. Below are some of the selections available.
This pic is what I’d like to do. Paint the rim either black or same color as truck and have the chrome cap and ring.
Whats your thoughts and likes to these trucks?
See anything you like?
How about this selection.
I see a few on this one I like.The top left would be my second choice but all chrome and deep in bac, 15×8 front 15×12 back.
Spent some good time this weekend on my project and got the bed painted. Doing things in a garage has its limitations and it creates extra work moving things around but the project is moving along and its getting done, its nice to see some paint get on these parts I worked on for a year.
I wet sanding up to 600 grit then applying a sealer coat, before applying two wet coats of paint, before shooting clear.
Other pieces I shot today was the inside of the glove box, and gauge cluster. Next will be to wet sand the rear fenders and tail gate during the week and spray next weekend.
About two months ago I purchased a electric choke kit from Speedway Motors, part number 427-45223 for my 600cfm Holley.
Two years ago I got this sweet deal on a new manual choke Holley 600cfm carb for $200 so I replaced my Edelbrock 650cfm. Very noticeable difference in performance running the Holley. When I purchased the truck it had a Holley 750cfm double pumper, but it leaked and needed rebuilding so the Edelbrock 650cfm was installed in 2004.
With all the bodywork and smooth firewall I had to add the electric choke to the Holley since the manual choke cable is gone.
Overall installation took a hour.
You get all this in the kit.
Before starting to take things off.
Pretty easy instructions to follow. I have to use the old spring but install a new idle lever. It has a different angle with the adjustment screw.
Pull off the post.
After placing the new idle lever the base of the choke is mounted using the screws supplied with the kit. After, you want to make sure the throttle plate moves freely, and recheck your work.
When installing the cap you have to place the coil loop into the tab on the base. Install the three screws and turn the cap and watch the throttle plate close and open. Set the cap with the notch on a line on the base. The plate should be closed position. I will need to watch for proper opening as the coil warms up and pulls the throttle plate open. Additional adjustment will be needed then.
Got the ground connected and the 12v side. I had never removed the old hot when I removed the Edlebrock so I was one step ahead.
Having a demanding day job, its tough to find time to finish my 56. I got some time in this past weekend starting with Friday night and then Saturday afternoon, and into the night, then Sunday afternoon.
I plan on painting the truck in pieces starting with the dash (since its a different color), then the inner fender wells, under hood, front air defectors, gravel valance.
So I spent some quality time on those items this weekend. All the pieces had couple of coats of primer already, so blocking and filling was the game plan. Here are some of the photos. Oh, I also shot paint on the backside of the tail gate to see how the tuff skin would look.
I plan on working on these items again during the week, after work. I need to sand down the filler and spot prime these pieces. I will post some pics after that. You can catch my pics on Instagram as edsf100 and my page on FB is edsf100. Have a good week.